Sunday, September 26, 2010

Missouri ICES Fall Day of Sharing

Today I had the privilege to attend the Missouri ICES (International Cake Exploration Societe) in Columbia, MO.  It was an all-day event, and I learned SO much from all of the talented demonstrators.  I went with a few ladies from my cake club, and we had a blast.  Here's some pictures of what we learned today!

This woman is a certified one-stroke painting instructor, and she's applied her knowledge to cake decorating.
Is this not GORGEOUS??  She's teaching a class in the next few weeks on this technique, and I can't wait to take it!


Linda McClure's Cricut Demo.  She did not use the Cricut Cake, only the Baby Bug with Make The Cut    

Linda also demonstrated the Silhouette machine, which, combined with a laptop and printer with edible ink, can both print on and cut out gumpaste.  I was talking with Linda before her demo and she said "Wait until you see the Silhouette.  It will make you hate your Cricut Cake".
My opinion?

The Silhouette machine was a neat demo to watch, but honestly, the cut and print images just were not the look I like on cakes.  Some of the display cakes they had really looked like you printed out paper and glued it to your cake.  Just not the asthetic I like.  PLUS, you'd have to buy a seperate printer and edible inks to get it all to work.  I'd rather stick to what I know and love.  No worries, I'm still a Cricut Cake lover!  :)

We got to watch an AWESOME SugarVeil demo.  I can't wait to use this stuff!  

Mike Elder (of TLC fame) was there to do a great cake sculpting/airbrushing demo.  He let us choose the cake we wanted him to carve, and I shouted out "Truman!".  For those who don't know, Truman is Mizzous mascot, and he looks a little something like this:



Mike thought this was an excellent idea and decided to carve his face.  This was the final product, all carved covered, and airbrushed in under 45 minutes!

Is this not AMAZING?????  It was incredible to watch.

Mike and his cake.

Don't tell anyone, but I think he is adorable and after watching him work I may have a teeny tiny crush on him. I'm pretty sure I asked more questions then anyone else in the room ;)

I cannot WAIT for the next ICES event.  I always learn so much and come away so inspired.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend, I can't wait to share some of my new projects with you next week! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment