Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Go Tigers!!!








I made a buttercream cake this weekend for my mom to take to a fundraiser.  I live in Columbia, MO, home of the Mizzou Tigers, and I figured a Mizzou cake would go over well.  I cut the paw print, the M, and the tiger stripes all by hand.

Why no Cricut Cake, you ask?

I decided to do a cake without using my Cricut, mainly because I wanted to remind myself that the Cricut Cake is a tool, just like any other caking tool I own.  I don't want to rely on it for every little cut I make, because then I'll stop using my OWN skills to decorate.  I LOVE my Cricut Cake, and use it ALL the time, but sometimes cakes using just me and my hands are great too :)

Oh, and as an added bonus, the inside of the cake is fudge marble, colored black and gold.  How's that for some team spirit?  :)


Materials Used:

*Black Fondant: Fondariffic (or Duff brand, if you're buying it at Michaels)
*Gold fondant (for "M"): Satin Ice
*Clay extruder (For rope border)
*Homemade buttercream

Hey, do you want the easiest, tastiest buttercream recipe ever?  Here it is!


*1 1/3 cup Crisco
*1/2 to 1/3 cup of milk, depending on consistency needed
*3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (you can buy this in your grocerys baking aisle)
*3 Tbsp of flavorings (use whatever you want, but I usually do 2 Tbsp vanilla and then 1 Tbsp of either butter flavoring or almond extract, depending on how sweet I want it)
*2 lbs powdered sugar

Throw all of that into a stand mixer, let it mix on about 10 minutes and you have pure deliciousness.


Have a great day, and happy caking!  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment